San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
March 16, 2005
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Kettrell Berry, Philip Dunn, Paul Greer, Thom Hunt, Lillian Mahoney, Sharon Powell, Jim Skelly, and Wes Williams.
- With one dissenting vote, the Board approved the minutes of the November 17, 2004 meeting. The Board unanimously approved the minutes of the February 16, 2005 meeting.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache reported that the checking account balance was $11,962.37 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The Chairman named Lillian Mahoney recording secretary.
- Williams reported that he and Rahn Sheffield were working on the Association Track & Field Championships, but the date was still not firm.
- Hunt reported on the May 7 Distance Carnival. Hunt and Greer will be promoting the event over spring break, and will be submitting an article to California Track & Running News.
- Dunn informed the Board about the international race walks in Tijuana March 19 and 20. This is the first event in the 2005 IAAF Grand Prix Series.
- Berry announced that San Diego athletes won 15 national championships and set six American records at the recent USA Masters National Indoor Track & Field Championships. Among those were Berry's championships at 60 meters and 200 meters, and his team setting a world record in the 1600 meter relay.
- Berry also reported on the Association Masters Track & Field Championships. The meet is set for July 9 at Westview High School. The participation of the San Diego Track Club (Chuck McMahon Meet) and the San Diego Senior Sports Festival is still being discussed.
- Skelly stated that recertification of Officials was underway for this Olympiad. The Officials Association is shorthanded for the weekends of March 19 and 26, due to two meets at two sites on each Saturday. In addition, the Association needs to recruit more throws officials. Finally, the National Chairman of the Track & Field Officials Committee has named Skelly Chairman of the national subcommittee to certify Master Level Referees.
- Shirley gave the registration report. As of March 16, the Association had 948 members (682 youth, 101 open, 165 masters), down 147 from 2004 on the same date, primarily due to athletes from southern Riverside County registering in the Southern California Association.
- The Board discussed problems with the ad that ran in the 2005 San Diego High School Record Book. Thom Hunt will present the issues to Steve Brand.
- Greer and Hunt presented an outline of the Association bid to hold the 2007 National Winter Cross Country Championships at Mission Bay Park. The Board received the report favorably and authorized Hunt and Greer to pursue the bid.
- The President read a note to the Board from Nadine O'Connor thanking them for her Association Awards.
- The Board discussed the Vice Presidential vacancy. The President solicited suggestions from the members on filling the position.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:09 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley