San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Hall of Champions
June 17, 1987
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Simeon Baldwin, Linda Gorman, Kevin Heaton, Jeff Rigdon, and Bill Stock.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of April 15.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance on June 8 was $5272.64, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. The checking account balance did not reflect $1880 in outstanding checks, nor a minimum of $2800 due from All-Sports.
- The President reviewed the role of TAC/USA and SDIAC in the recent San Diego Marathon-Holiday Bowl Marathon controversy.
- The Board approved a motion by Stock that the President of SDIAC protest to Ollan Cassell, Executive Director of TAC/USA, and/or other people, that usage was made of TAC's name on the entry form for the unsanctioned BMW/La Jolla Marathon Relay. The concern of the Board was that such use may imply sanction. The President stated he will seek guidance from the Executive Director and his Special Assistant, Alvin Chriss.
- The Board, on a motion by Shirley, commended Linda Gorman for her success in putting on the Junior Olympics. The number of entries increased from 190 in 1986 to 343 for 1987's meet.
- The Chairman announced that, as Dixon Farmer had resigned as Men's Track and Field Coach at San Diego State University, he would consult with Farmer on finding a replacement as SDIAC Men's Track and Field Chairman.
- The Board discussed methods of supporting track and Field. Rigdon proposed a series of clinics with elite athletes training youth athletes. These clinics could possibly be held prior to all-comers track and field meets hosted by member organizations.
- The Board approved (5-0, Shirley abstaining) a motion by Heaton to provide up to $3000 per year to support the local track and field program.
- The Board discussed the recent Association Championship Track and Field meet, and the necessity for preparing for the 1988 meet. Of particular concern were obtaining increased support from the officials and press.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:59 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley