San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
February 17, 1988
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:13 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Cindy Cohagen, Maria Gomez, Linda Gorman, Kevin Heaton, Ed Oleata, Jeff Rigdon, Bob Sieben, and Bill Stock.
- The Board approved the minutes of the 1987 annual meeting, held Dec. 16.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $10,104.01 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. The President has deferred the purchase of another clock, an expenditure the Board authorized in October.
- The President reported that registrations are low for this time of year, due in part to the cancellation of the Indoor Games.
- The Secretary distributed results of the open Grand Prix of Association championships. Oonagh Bruni and Peter Stern won.
- The Board set the date of the annual awards dinner as March 4. The awards committee is Bache, Bernard, Bob Gilmore, Gorman, Rigdon, Shirley, and Stock.
- After a long discussion, the Board approved a motion by Stock to name the perpetual trophy for the women's Grand Prix as the Donna Gookin Award.
- The Board passed a motion by Gorman to allow the juniors chairman to use the results of the juniors Grand Prix races to determine the series award winners, rather than a rigid scoring system.
- The Board approved a motion by Heaton to authorize the juniors chairman to award a total of $800 for youth athletics in 1988. The chairman will decide on the means of distribution, then publicize it.
- The Board authorized the masters chairman to provide the same awards in the 1988 Fastest Masters race as in 1987 (a total of $850), and a 50% increase for 1989 to $1275 by also awarding a $25 second prize in each division.
- The Board approved a motion by Shirley to award equal total amounts of $1200 each in both the men's and women's 1988 Grand Prix series. Cohagen volunteered to publicize the series.
- The Board approved the same races for the 1988 Grand Prix series as 1987.
- The Chairman announced that Dixon Farmer is willing to direct the 1988 Association Track and Field Championships, but has not set a date.
- The Board approved a motion by Oleata that the Association award stipends to qualifiers for the Olympic Marathon Trials, Olympic Track and Field Trials, and TAC Track and Field Championships, with the same requirements as in previous years.
- Oleata agreed to direct the 1988 Association Masters Track and Field Championships, but has not set a date.
- The Board approved a motion by Oleata authorizing the President, upon application for a sanction by the promoters of the Carlsbad 5K road race, to write a letter to the applicants, with copies to Alvin Chriss and the USOC, pointing out the illegality of the use of the Olympic rings in advertising their event.
- The meeting adjourned at 11:15 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley