San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
December 13, 1989
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Cindy Cohagen, Ed Oleata, Jeff Rigdon, Bob Sieben, Mark Stanforth, and Bill Stock.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of October 18.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $15,315.07 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The Board reviewed Cohagen's Challenge Series flyer. The Board approved Bernard's motion to increase the first-place awards by $100 to $500 for both men and women. The Board then approved Oleata's motion to raise the second-place awards by $50 to $250. Next the Board approved Stock's motion to make the awards for first through sixth $500, $250, $200, $150, $100, and $75, with seventh through tenth each getting $50, for both men and women, for a total of $2950. Finally, the Board rejected Oleata's motion to raise the second-place awards to $275.
- The Board approved Bache's motion to raise the SDIAC membership fee to $11, save for juniors, who will continue to pay $7.
- The Board approved Bernard's motion to remit to the All Sports office an additional $1 for each full-charge insurance certificate processed.
- Oleata and Stanforth discussed the possibility of hosting all-comers track and field meets during 1990. The Chargers use the buildings at the track during July and August, so no rest rooms are available. UCSD has not set policies for use of the new track.
- The President noted that Dixon Farmer's departure to Minnesota had forced him to resign as Men's Track and Field Chairman.
- Oleata announced that he had volunteered to direct the 1990 Masters Western Sectional Track and Field Championships, with UCSD the first choice for the site. Due to limited resources and small attendance from within the Association, he recommended that we not also hold Association Championships.
- Rigdon noted that following recertification, there are only about 53 certified officials in the Association. There will be officiating clinics on Jan. 20 and Jan. 27 at SDSU.
- Referring to an item from the October meeting, Bache reported that both Jeanne Lasee Johnson and Alisa Harvey competed at the Women's National 8K Road Championship, with Lasee Johnson finishing about ninth. The National Committee paid Lasee Johnson travel expenses to the race, and SDIAC paid Harvey as previously approved.
- Stanforth discussed a series of coaching clinics beginning Feb. 4 at UCSD. Emphasis will be on technique events (LJ, SP, hurdles, and possibly PV and TJ).
- Stock discussed the La Jolla HS girls' State Cross Country victory.
- Shirley reported from the National Convention the announcement of the emerging athlete Regional Track and Field Championships. Association champions will earn travel expenses to the Regionals.
- Bernard announced that there would be an Association workshop in San Diego in March.
- The President named an awards committee of Bache, Bernard, Gorman, Rigdon, and Shirley which will both select winners and set a date for the banquet.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:25 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley