San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
April 21, 1993
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:25 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, and Peter Stern.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of February 17.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $6605.28 as of April 9, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Bache announced that she will conduct the Association Junior Olympics Championships on June 19 at Balboa Stadium, and Arnie Robinson will direct the Regional Junior Olympics Championships on July 17 and 18 at the same site. The President commended Bache for her compilation of the calendar of Juniors meets in the San Diego Running News.
- J. Shirley presented copies of correspondence with the US Olympic Committee concerning the use of the term "Olympics" in promoting the Senior Sports Festival. She reported that he San Diego Track Club had withdrawn its endorsement of the event. G. Shirley noted that USA Track & Field Operating Regulations prevent issuing a sanction to any event using the term "Olympics" without permission.
- The President described the USA Track & Field uniform sales contract. Each Association may name one contact. The Board unanimously approved a motion by G. Shirley authorizing the President to name the contact and return the form.
- Skelly presented an updated Officials meet schedule and distributed a list of the current 63 officials. He noted that there would be two meets May 1, stretching their resources.
- The President stated that he, either personally or through Jim Waters, will investigate a personal computer-based track meet finish line system similar to those demonstrated at the National Convention. Although the system is currently priced near $10,000, cheaper versions may soon become available. The savings in film may be significant. He noted that SDIAC has historically been ahead of other Associations in obtaining advanced finish line technology.
- The Secretary noted several items mailed from the National Office: National Track & Field Championship entry booklets; Car rental agreements; National Junior Olympic Track & Field information; club practice sanction forms; a notice on the deadline for submitting amendments to the Bylaws or Operating Regulations of USA Track & Field. There was little interest.
- The Board briefly discussed the San Diego Running News Calendar.
- The Board applauded the President for his efforts in again hosting a highly successful Awards Dinner.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:42 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley