San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
February 18, 2004
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Curt Clausen, Paul Greer, Lillian Mahoney, Sharon Powell, Arnie Robinson, Tony Salerno, Jim Skelly, Elizabeth Tate, and Chuck Woolsey.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of January 21.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache reported that the checking account balance was $13,944.57 as of the January statement, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. Approximately $3000 is still outstanding from the Annual Dinner. Greer presented a $725.47 reimbursement for conducting the Regional Cross Country Championships, with $500 allocated for Competitor Magazine ad space.
- Greer reported that the Spring Road Race Challenge Series was underway with the completion of the San Dieguito Half Marathon. He also reported on a conversation with Craig Masback concerning the possibility of holding the Winter Cross Country National Championships (World Championship team selection) at the Del Mar Race Track. He will continue discussions with Tracy Sundlun and Mike Long.
- Curt Clausen gave a brief report on the 50 km Race Walk U.S. Olympic Team Selection. He noted that the Trials served as the selection for the five-man World Cup 50 km team, all of whom reside in Chula Vista. He also stated that there would be an IAAF Grand Prix Race Walk event in Tijuana's Zona Rio March 20 (20 km) and March 21 (50 km).
- Robinson is forming a committee of himself, Bache and J. Shirley to select a site and date for the 2005 Awards Dinner. They will report at the March 17 meeting.
- The Board unanimously approved a motion by J. Shirley to pay $200 for an ad in the 2004 San Diego Union-Tribune Track & Field Guide distributed to high school programs.
- The Board approved, with one dissenting vote, a motion by Greer to contribute $2000 from the general fund toward production costs for television coverage of the 50 km Race Walk U.S. Olympic Team Selection. Greer will contact Tracy Sundlun to ensure that San Diego USATF gets promoted during the coverage. The program will air on the local NBC affiliate KNSD (7/39) at 11:30 a.m. February 28.
- G. Shirley reported on a problem with the implementation of what are now referred to as Corporate Members, non-scoring replacements for National Clubs. He will be suggesting solutions to the USATF Board of Directors who will meet February 28-29.
- Tate announced that the tenth annual Flo-Jo meet will have open events on April 3.
- Greer noted that he is writing a regular column on www.signonsandiego.com under Science and Health labeled Running Blog, geared toward beginning runners.
- Salerno stated his interest in getting the San Diego CIF Track & Field Championships at UCSD.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley