San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
February 21, 2001
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Paul Greer, Allan Hodgert, Ed Oleata, Claudia Piepenburg, Mike Piepenburg, Arnie Robinson, Jim Skelly, Elizabeth Tate, Pat Thiss, and Chuck Woolsey.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of December 20.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $1136 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. The treasury was drawn down by the Awards Dinner.
- Robinson reported on the Awards Dinner. Ron Allice from USC and Bob Larsen from UCLA attended. Bernard, Oleata, and Skelly all agreed that it was the best ever. Greer was the master of ceremonies. About 70 attended.
- The Board set February 1, 2002 for the 2001 Awards Dinner. Oleata volunteered to reserve the Bayshore Club Ballroom. San Diego USATF will attempt to bring the attendance up to 150. Robinson will head the committee.
- Oleata reported that, although he had offered to take the West Region Masters Track & Field chairmanship, George Matthews, the National Masters Track & Field Chairman, had appointed Mark Cleary. Oleata offered to conduct the West Region Masters Track & Field Championships, but had no response from Cleary.
- Woolsey reported on medical requirements for sanctioned events. In his opinion, there should be a certified athletic trainer at any sporting event. The Board rejected by 1-12 his motion that at every event San Diego USATF sanctions, a certified athletic trainer be required.
- Hodgert reported that the Association Track & Field Championships would be June 30 at UCSD. Skip Stolley’s indoor meet in Los Angeles was canceled, jeopardizing any chance of a San Diego indoor meet in 2002.
- Tate reported on a number requirements added to the youth meets., including mandating Hy-Tek results processing and restricting access to the infield. The first youth meet is March 17.
- Greer announced that Mebrahtom Keflezighi won the 12K USATF Cross Country Championship by 17 seconds. For 2001 two Road Championships will be conducted: April 1, Carlsbad 5000 and October 14, Arturo Barrios 10K. There is some interest in bidding for the 2003 USATF Cross Country Championships.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:04 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley