San Diego USATF
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
October 17, 2001
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:25 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Darcy Ahner, Nelson Alexander, Lolitia Bache, Allen Bowman, Paul Greer, Lillian Mahoney, Sharon Powell, Arnie Robinson, Tony Salerno, Joy Sargis, Joni Shirley, Tracy Sundlun, Elizabeth Tate, Pat Thiss, and Chuck Woolsey.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of August 15.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $3058.58 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The Members discussed recent changes in registration fees. Stickers are now $7.50 per registrant, up from $5.00. On-line registration adds another $1.00 to the charge to the Association. The ceiling appears to be $20.00 ($15.00 for youth). The Members unanimously approved Robinson's motion to raise the Youth registration fee to $15.00, with the President authorized to add as much as $2.50 more upon motion of the Youth committee, to the extent allowable. The Members unanimously approved Sundlun's motion to raise the registration fee for Open to the maximum allowable.
- Robinson updated the Members on the Junior Olympics Cross Country Championship bid. The proposed site is Morley Field, Balboa Park. About 2000 runners should compete. Opening and closing ceremonies would be at the Organ Pavilion. A site review committee will arrive in San Diego October 20. The Youth Committee will have a hospitality suite November 29 at the USATF Convention in Mobile. The San Diego International Sports Council is cosponsoring the bid, posting part of the $5000 surety.
- The Members discussed the 2001 Association Men's and Women's Track and Field Championships and objectives for 2002. Allen Bowman and Joy Sargis were introduced, then appointed Men's and Women's Track and Field Chairmen, approved by the Members.
- Greer gave an update on the Dirt Dogs Cross Country Series, which has been quite successful. Asics and Competitor Magazines are providing some sponsorship. The Championships are November 10 at Morley Field, Balboa Park.
- The members discussed the budget. Sundlun suggested that the assumption of continuing to receive the same income from race sanctions is suspect due to limitations of the USATF insurance for race directors. The Members unanimously approved Bache's motion to accept the budget, as proposed.
- The following names were proposed as delegates to the Convention, with final determination to follow: Alexander, Bernard, Bowman, Curt Clausen, Greer, Mahoney, Robinson, Scott Sargeant, Sargis, G. Shirley, Jim Skelly, Sundlun, Tate, Thiss, Woolsey. The Members approved a motion that the Association pay registration fees for 14 delegates, with priority given to those who will attend the Closing Session.
- The members approved a new set of Bylaws to comply with USATF accreditation requirements.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley